Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Ugly" duckling

I began running in March of this year, mostly because it is something I have always wanted to do. I finally decided this would be my year. Having made the decision to end my baby making "career" I am making time (with no excuses!) to focus on myself and my health, wellness, and fitness. It has been incredible so far and though I have much further to go (40 to 50 lbs. to be exact!) I look forward to each and every step on this journey. The teamwork I have found here is priceless. I am thankful every day for each and every one of these ladies. They're my sisters, cheerleaders, inspiration.

You see, I am different from the rest of the girls here. I am a runner, yes- but I am an overweight one. I am not in shape yet, but I am trying. So while I am doing really well for someone of my size, my race times and my mile splits are not at the level of the others here. I have a comfortable 12 minute mile, 11 when I really push myself, and it doesn't bother me much. When I began this journey in March, I was 30 pounds heavier than I am today. My one running goal for 2012 was to run a solid 5K. Crushed it! And the other morning, I came within .7 of a mile of running a 10K. I am so, so, so proud of myself. I am not focusing on time any more, I am now focusing on endurance and working on a faster mile.

I have set a new goal now, to run a half marathon in the next year or two. I know I can do it, just as I know I can lose the rest of the weight I've set out to lose. I feel like I am on FIRE and this year I have learned that I can do anything that I set my mind to. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself and have others who push you to be your best.


So yes, I am the overweight runner here, but it doesn't bother me. I'm writing my own Cinderella story, the "ugly duckling" who WILL become a swan. Watch and see!


4 comments:

EricAndErica said...

Great post & I have no doubt you could crush a Half Marathon!! You're already 1/2 way to a 1/2 :)

Meghan said...

Love this part "I feel like I am on FIRE and this year I have learned that I can do anything that I set my mind to. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself and have others who push you to be your best."


You can do anything you set your mind to and glad to be here to cheer you on!

Dax, Ian, and Jude said...

You're so right...you are on FIRE! I'm so proud of you and continue to be amazed by you...in my eyes, you already are a swan! xoxo ~Rebecca

Angela O said...

You're amazing and an inspiration! Not only are you taking it upon yourself to start running but you are also improving your life by eating healthier (something I could stand to do!). What a great role model you are for your children in addition to us Sole Sisters!

Keep it up, Mama!