Wednesday, September 12, 2012

60 miles out of my comfort zone

Faster that a speeding truck ( OK not really)
So in this group of Sole Sisters I am one of the women who has been running longer than some who have just started and I have also run two half marathons.  I am by no way an expert or super speedy.  I just have a little more experience with running than some others in the group.  I was asked by a fellow Sole sister to run in a relay, a 60 mile relay!  It was in another city, with people I did not know other than my fellow Sole Sister and I had never done anything like this before.  I researched the team of runners, yes yes I Googled their race results, I found out that I would be one of the slower members of the team.  I thought not sure I wanted to do that.  I then remember that when our group had signed up for the Havelock Run there were new runners who were afraid to be on our team because they thought they were slower.  I had encouraged them to join and run and they had the courage to do it and did AWESOME!  I was going to learn from them and do this RACE!  The day came and it was pouring ran and I was given the last leg and one of the longest legs.  My first run was 5.5 and my second was 3.  It stopped raining on my first leg and I pushed hard and ran great.  My second leg my fellow Sole Sister was handing off to me and she had just passed another team and I heard the team tell their  member ,who was about to run, that her goal was to pass me.  I said " OH no I don't think so", and I ran, I ran hard, I kept looking over my shoulder.  I was running on the HWY ( scary).  I was wondering where the next exchange was?  Well, she did not catch me, not even close!  I did something I thought I would never to, with people I did not even know and it was turned out great.  I still look at the pictures and I am proud of the effort I gave on that day. 

7 comments:

EricAndErica said...

That picture is awesome!! I think that would be so fun!

The Mussertons said...

What an amazing story and picture, Meghan! I am always inspired by your fearlessness!

Dax, Ian, and Jude said...

What a cool experience! Way to go! ~Rebecca

Angela O said...

Awesome, Meghan! What a fun run to be a part of!

Team S said...

Wow, Meghan! You are one bad mother runner, all right ;) I am sure that everyone who knows you is impressed by your dedication and commitment - I know I am!

Megan said...

I'm so impressed by you!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you decided to do it. We never would have met if you hadn't!