Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In honor of you


At first look, we would be considered unlikely friends. She, a conservative Mormon, me, a Christian who swings more to the Left. Yet, as mothers we quickly bonded over parenting our sweet boys (we each only had 2 kids at the time!) Turns out, we were neighbors, too, who attended play dates, walked to the park and learned valuable parenting tips from one another. Often, we would watch the other's boys so that the weary mom in us could snag a break, or take one of our kids to the emergency room. She started training for a Marathon and, honestly, I thought she was out of her gourd. Run? 26 miles? Crazy. I didn't think it was physically possible, let alone mentally, emotionally, and how could she even manage as a wife and mother. I was in awe. 

Now that I'm a runner, I am even more in awe of her determination and dedication. How she sacrificed in order to conquer such an enormous challenge and still be an amazing mom- wow. 

Carrie moved away several years ago, but I think of her often. She has always been the perfect image of strength and perseverance. 

Yesterday, Carrie had a brain tumor removed. Today, she was walking the halls of the hospital. Again, I am amazed. In awe. 

This week, the Sole Sisters have been wearing bandanas as we run not only for Carrie, but all of those who have cancer, tumors or those who have overcome such battles. We run and we remember. 


1 comment:

Carrie said...

I have no words, just tears. This post and all of the runs on my behalf are deeply impressed on my heart and saying "thank you" doesn't even cover it. Someday, we will have to run together. Much love, Carrie