Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Running with Purpose



Originally, I started running because I knew it would be good for me, right? I had a goal in mind- complete a 5k by the end of the summer. It was doable. I was capable. Having a goal kept me motivated in the beginning.

But, as the miles began to add up and my shoe of choice was more often my Brooks than my well worn Chacos, I started to realize that I had found not just a goal to keep me going, but a prupose.

You see, as much as I may not like to admit it, running has become vital to my mental health. I have four children. Four kids born in five years. My life is wonderfully, fantastically, beautifully crazy. I started off with my headphones in just to tune out the noise. I told my husband i ran because for at least half the distance, I was running AWAY from home. The good news? I always turned and came back!

Running has provided me that happy place. Solace. Peace. Solitude.

I am a better mother and wife because I have found this "thing" that can help me to keep on keepin' on! It's obvious that taking advantage of the runner's high has a number of mental health benefits. People who experience this euphoric feeling while running report being totally relaxed, happy, energetic, and satisfied with themselves. Running also releases serotonin, which is a natural mood lifter.

I have also noted that running is extremely difficult for me. Each run involves some pain, some challenge, some mental struggle- to quit or not to quit? Each run, no matter how far, how fast or how slow... I usually want to stop about 2 minutes into it. BUT running has become the easiest part of my day. 

I'm not complaining about this life I have, but carting four kiddos to and fro, cooking meals, making sure the livingroom has at least a clear path to the bathroom and we have at least some paper plates to use wen the dishes get too crazy... it adds up! So for me to know that I have mastered a challenging run that morning gives me the strength, energy and courage to face whatever the kiddos may toss my way.

You may have many goals for your training, and for life in general, but what is your purpose?

A great resource to explore further can be found here at Active.com


1 comment:

Meghan said...

Megan this is totally the reason I started running and keep running. It is the time I think and realize life is really pretty great, it gives me a much needed break and it makes me feel so strong. That is why I always try to get others to start running too! I think it makes you happier :)