Monday, September 10, 2012

How do I get past the insanity?

I need to get back into a routine of running but I'm finding it hard to do so when my children don't cooperate.  Finding a balance between being a full-time mom, a part-time accountant, and my own person has not been easy.  Struggling with a 5 year old who is fed up with Kindergarten and a 2 year old who is asserting her independence in ways I cannot cope with has put stress on me that I haven't found a way to alleviate.

I was hoping getting back into a routine would counter my stress, but it's the "getting back into a routine" that I haven't been able to do.  Part of the problem is that my 2 year old is refusing to go anywhere, get dressed, have her diaper changed, etc.  When I try to force her to go, she screams and cries until she throws up, and by the time I get everyone and everything cleaned up, the last thing I want to do is go anywhere.  I'm scared to take her to the Y because even if we make it there, my assumption is that she will freak out until she vomits and then I'll have to retrieve her and go back home anyway.

I know I could run at night.  I know I should run at night when my husband is home with the kids.  But after a day of fighting, I don't want to do anything.  I feel like the Queen of Excuses when it comes to running these days and I need to get out of my rut.  I tried running at the lake yesterday, but running in sand is really not as fun as it looks in the movies and magazines.

How does one balance being a Mother and Runner?  For me the term Mother Runner seems counter intuitive right now.  What should I do?  What can I do?

I'll go for a run.  Wish me luck...

**EDIT**  1.64 mi at 11:12min/mi pace

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Way to go! Great pace!!!

Megan said...

Way to get out there, chica. Did you run at night?

Angela O said...

I did. There's something about running at night that just relaxes me and gets me ready for the end of the day. Backwards, I know :) It's so quiet and calm at night, and I'm often the only one out there.