Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Running: Love it or Hate it?

I can only speak for myself, but I have been running for a lot longer than I have enjoyed running. Does that even make sense? I started running as a challenge. I am challenged frequently as a stay at home mom, but I wanted a challenge that felt like I was accomplishing something for which I could clearly take credit. Look, see that mile, I ran it!

In the beginning, I would slowly do my warm up walk, dreading when it was time for the running to start. I would try to get my runs over as early as possible in the day so I would not have a tight feeling in my stomach when I thought about still having to run. Yet this morning when I went out for my tempo run I didn't give it a thought, I just did it.

When I was training for my 10K and hit the first 5 miler, I talked myself into putting it off for one day. That Friday was much too hot and Saturday's forecast was nice and cool. It made perfect sense, I even had more time on Saturday too. All Friday night I dreamt that I was running the 5 miles. I tossed and turned and all I could think about was how I had to get up and run 5 long miles. So on Saturday, I got up and ran my 5 miles. I ran those 5 miles in the rain, with the local high school cross country team running 1 mile sprints back and forth on my route. Lesson learned!

Somewhere during that 5 mile run, I figured out that I could do this running thing. If I could run in the rain and smile at all the teenagers flying past me and still just put one leg in front of another, then I could do it. I don't know why I doubted myself, but I think we all have distances or paces that feel intimidating to us.

I am sure I will have plenty of times when I am intimidated by a distance or pace my training plan dictates. It may take me a couple of tries to conquer a tough training week or route, but I know it can be done. I may truly enjoy running now but it will always be a challenge for me. I hope you all find a little more love in your runs this week!

No comments: